Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brutus

What Motivated Brutus

“Vexed I am of late with passions of some difference” page 28, lines 48-49. This is the quote where Brutus is telling Cassius that he is at a crossroads and doesn't know what to do. He loves his friend Caesar but he loves Rome and the Roman people more. Brutus is a very honorable man, and he is very patriotic and he will do anything to stay honorable and patriotic.

Brutus liked to be honorable and noble, and even when he was doing something bad he still tried to do it honorably. “This was the noblest Roman of them all.” page 219, line 68. After Brutus killed himself, Antony and Octavius found his dead body and Antony said that Brutus was the noblest Roman of all. This quotation shows that Brutus didn't just like to be noble, it shows that he was noble and everyone knew it including his enemy, Antony. Brutus loved honor and being noble almost more then he loved anything else. “I love the name of honor more then I fear death” page 32 lines 87-88. This is where Cassius is tiring to convince Brutus to join the conspiracy. This quotation shows that Brutus would rather die then be un-honorable and if someone would rather die then not be something it shows just how much the person adores that trait. This quotation shows that Brutus would do anything to stay honorable and he feels that if he can’t be honorable then he might as well die. Brutus loves being noble and honorable, he feels it gives him respect. But honor and being noble wasn't his only motivators, he also loved Rome.

Not only did Brutus love honor and being noble, but he also loved Rome and the Roman people. Brutus was very patriotic he would do anything to help Rome, so when he thought that Caesar, one of his best friends, would harm Rome if he was king, he had to do anything to stop Caesar. “Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rom more.” page 128, lines 20-21. This quotation is from Brutus’ speech at Caesar’s funeral, he explains that he did love Caesar very much but that he loved Rome more. This quotation shows that Rome was much more important to Brutus then anything else, even friendship. He thought that if Caesar were ruler then Rome would fall apart. It shows that he had to do anything to stop Caesar hurting Rome, so Brutus would rather kill his best friend then see Rome fall apart. “What means this shouting? I do fear the people choose Caesar for their king.” page 32, lines 78-79. This is where Brutus is talking to Cassius and they hear shouting and Brutus thinks that Caesar is being crowned king, which he does not want. This quotation shows that Brutus does not want the people to choose Caesar as their king, and since Brutus loves the Rome more then friendship he will do anything to stop Caesar become king. Brutus is very patriotic and he will not let anything or anyone hurt Rome.

Brutus was at a crossroads, he loved his friend, Caesar, but he loved his country more. He was very patriotic and honorable, so he thought that if he killed Caesar then he would be helping Rome and to help your country is an honorable thing to do. These motivators caused Brutus to behave badly. Brutus thought that people were going to be happy at his decision and that Rome would be better without Caesar, but instead the people were not happy and Rome was worse. These motivators caused Brutus to only partly achieve his goal. Yes, he did kill Caesar, that was his main objective, but his goal was to kill Caesar to save Rome, but when he killed Caesar the Roman people started to riot and get upset which made Rome fall apart. I think that his goal was worthy and wasn't worthy. I think that it was worthy of him to try to save his country, but he was just placing his theory on ‘what ifs’. He didn't actually know what Caesar would be like if he was ruler.Ideas and Content...

My essay demonstraits appropret ideas and content becuase I used characteristics that described Brutus very well, and then matched them with a quote from the book to show that he was really passonated about Rome and Honor, I then explained the quote and why it was relivant to give the reader a deeper understanding. I think that I could have expressed my ideas better by finding better examples of his characteristics. I think that my quotes are good but they could be better. I also think that I could have gone into more detail and explain the quotes and characteristics better.

Organization...

My writting demonstraits appropriate organization. I had an introduction paragraph where I said what his problems were and I named his characteristics, and then in my body paragraphs I went into more detail about his characteristics, I then had a conclusion parafrasing his problem, how he over came it and what motivtated him to kill Ceasar. I also had conecting sentances to link my paragraphs. I could have improved my organization by having better conecting sentances, I do not think that they linked my ideas very well.

Personal Growth...

I think that there was a lot of improvment between my Alchemest essay and my Juilus Ceasar essay. I think that in my Ceasar essay I explained my ideas and quotes better then in my Alchemist essay. I think that this shows how I have improved as a writer.

SLR Reflection...

While writing my essay I had reason criticaly because I had to write information about Brutus' characteristics, link them to why they drove him to kill Caesar and find quotes to show this. I also had to explain my quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment